Car Accident Lawyer in Elizabeth, NJ
When determining whether you need a car accident lawyer Elizabeth, NJ drivers rely on, know that the team at The Law Office of Wade Suthard, P.C. is here for you. Many people believe that when they get into a car accident they have very little to worry about because that is what insurance is for, right? However, just because the other driver has insurance does not mean you will get fair compensation for the injuries they caused or the damage that was done. The reality is much more complex than that. Instead of worrying about representing yourself in front of an insurance agent who does not have your best interests at heart, speak with an attorney from our office today. They can give you important legal counsel so that you have a higher chance of obtaining a settlement that you rightfully deserve.
The Top Reasons Why You Should Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident
Becoming a victim of a car accident is not something that you can anticipate. It usually leaves victims with many problems that go beyond accident injuries. With so many elements in an accident case, it is not something that you want to handle alone. If you have certain complications in your case, such as a lack of car insurance or if you have partial fault, it is even more pressing. There are many reasons that make it worth making the investment and hiring a skilled lawyer.
We understand that hiring an attorney is a big legal step. You could have many lingering questions that can make you hesitant to seek out legal help. It is reasonable and expected for car accident victims to feel uncertainty about going to a lawyer for help. However, once you do this, you can know that the weight of this car accident case is no longer on your shoulders. Instead, we want you to focus on recovering from your injuries and moving forward from the damage that was done. As an accident victim, your focus should be on regaining your health and getting back to your normal life. With a lawyer, they can work on the difficult legal tasks for you so you do not have to deal with additional stress. Through their legal assistance, they can put your mind at ease.
Understandably, you may not be aware of the ways in which a lawyer can assist you. They can help you on a variety of legal topics and tasks, not just provide you with legal information. Here are some of the main reasons why it’s beneficial to hire a skilled car accident lawyer.
- Dealing With Insurance. You may think that a car accident lawyer will only file paperwork for you. However, we handle difficult insurance agents as well. Communicating with insurance agents is not always straightforward. They may be reluctant to believe your side of the story about how the accident occurred. They may not even be willing to agree on the fair compensation amount that is right for your case. Unfortunately, even if you were in a serious car accident, insurance agents do not want to give you fair compensation. Instead, they may seem caring while lowballing their offer. Leave handling the insurance agents up to your attorney. A car accident attorney has dealt with many insurance agents over the course of their practice experience, so they are familiar with their methods and tactics that they often use when they are speaking to claimants.
- Conducting the Investigation. When you hire an attorney, you do not have to worry about investigating anything on your own. Your attorney will take care of the investigative tasks for you. Your attorney will go back to the scene of the accident, speak with any available witnesses, request police reports, and help determine what caused the accident. Putting a strong case together involves sifting through the most compelling evidence. When you are pursuing a driver who caused the accident that resulted in your injury, there needs to be a clear link between their actions and the harm they caused. It is imperative that we show that someone else’s negligence was responsible for causing your injuries.
- Understanding the Law. Many people believe that of all legal matters, a personal injury car accident claim is likely the simplest. However, you want someone who has studied the law and understands what your rights are so that they can fight on your behalf. There could be details or facts about your case that could make it more challenging to prepare.
- Going to Court. You may not need to go to court. However, if the insurance company denies you of your claim or gives you an unfair offer, your attorney can represent you in court to show why you need fair compensation for injuries and damage. Even if it doesn’t seem like your case is likely not to go to court at the beginning, you need to prepare your case as if it will. It is better to have a strong case from the start, in case you do not reach a settlement and the best decision is to move forward in court. If you fail to have a plan about how you will present your case in court, you may risk losing your case.
If you would like to learn more about how a trusted NJ car accident lawyer in Elizabeth can represent you, contact The Law Office of Wade Suthard, P.C.
Injuries Common for Car Accidents
If you were part of a car accident recently and sustained injuries that required medical care, then we urge you to call our law firm right away for support. You may think that you do not need a lawyer to handle your car accident claim. In some instances, that may be true, if the car accident was not serious and did not result in significant injury or financial loss. However, for many people, car accidents cause serious physical injury that may drain their bank account in medical bills, loss of wage from work, and costs to repair or replace the vehicle. All of these things necessitate the help of a lawyer who can guide you can fight for your rights as a car accident victim.
Like we stated above, most people experience some degree of injury that surpasses what your typical first aid kit can provide. If you have any of these injuries, we strongly encourage you to get legal help right now as your claim is being handled:
Neck Injuries and Whiplash
Whiplash is categorized as a soft tissue injury that refers to a neck sprain or strain. When the force of the collision causes the head to jolt forward and back rapidly, the head may have been pushed past its normal range of extension. What then happens if the neck muscles and surrounding areas tense to protect the area from further injury. Whiplash symptoms can include muscle tension, inflammation, restricted range of motion, pain, headaches, disc ruptures, and damage to vertebrae.
Spinal Cord and Back Injuries
A leading cause of spinal cord injuries are motor vehicle accidents. Serious spinal cord and back injuries can impact someone’s ability to go to work and perform everyday duties of life. A back injury can encompass damage to vertebrae, discs, tendons, and muscles. Damage to this area of the body may necessitate surgery, which means the victim has to endure pain, discomfort, a change of lifestyle, and so much more. The person responsible for the accident should be held accountable in the court of law through aggressive legal action, and we are not afraid to fight relentlessly for our clients.
Broken Bones and Fractures
There are various ways that bones may break or fracture, including comminuted fractures, impacted or buckle fractures, stable fractures, compound/open fractures, stress fractures, and greenstick fractures. All of which are painful and take many months to heal. Broken bones and fractures are one of the most common types of injuries for car accidents, and victims should get an examination and medical treatment from their doctor immediately.
The information above is not a complete list of all the possible physical injuries that can happen during a car accident. Other serious injuries include traumatic brain injuries, airbag injuries, internal bleeding, organ damage, and more. Please do not hesitate in getting advice from a lawyer during this time, as we have your best of interest in mind at all times.
When Don’t I Need a Lawyer?
Many people might wonder when they need a car accident lawyer for help, and few might wonder when they don’t. Based on what you see on the TV, it might be easy to think that:
- Anyone in an accident will be given much less than what they need or deserve,
- They will be mistreated or taken advantage of by the insurance company, or
- They will always need a lawyer.
While the above can, and certainly does, happen; these scenarios are not 100% true. There are situations that warrant the need of a lawyer, and there are those that do not. The following are a few examples in which a car accident lawyer might not be required. Before we get started, it goes without saying it is recommended to consult with a firm before you make any decisions on how best to deal with your own situation. By doing so, you ensure you protect your rights and interests.
You Did Not Suffer Any Injuries
Sometimes, when an accident happens, there may be no injuries. Rather, the damages will only include property damage. If no one was injured, or there was no damage at all, it may not be necessary to file a personal injury claim. It is also possible that when a doctor diagnoses the victim with mild injuries that require a few days of rest, a claim won’t be worth it. You should be careful when making any decisions based on a “no injury” diagnosis. We do know of people who were told they had no injuries but actually suffered from a silent injury that was not diagnosed.
If you were in a car accident, please get medical attention and report all your pain or symptoms. You should be evaluated in full. If you are not satisfied with the diagnosis, you can get a second opinion. If you have questions, call our law firm right away.
The Claim’s Value is Not Much
Sometimes, a claim’s value will not be very much. In this case, hiring a lawyer may not be worth it. For example, there were just a few damages to your car, and the car was ten years old with 180,000 miles on it. In this case, hiring a lawyer might not be worth it. Rather, you would likely talk with your insurance company. If you have any doubts, please call our office.
Situations That May Warrant the Need for a Lawyer:
- You suffered injuries
- Your injuries were mild to moderate or severe
- You had to stay at the hospital
- Your health has been affected
- You were unable to work
- Your bills totaled over a couple of thousand dollars
- There is a dispute over who is at fault
- There were multiple parties in the accident
- There are special circumstances involved
- The accident involved a municipality
- The accident occurred in a construction zone
- You believe your vehicle was defective
- Insurance adjusters are being difficult
- There was a loss of life
If you have any questions about your accident, or whether you need a car accident lawyer in Elizabeth, New Jersey, call The Law Office of Wade Suthard, P.C.
4 Times You Absolutely Need a Car Accident Lawyer
When you have been in an auto accident, it’s always important to know who you can call for help. Most people think the only person they need to turn to is their car insurance company, but that’s not always the case, especially if you live in Elizabeth, NJ or a nearby city. When do you need to hire an attorney? Here are four times when you absolutely should.
If You Are Hurt Badly
When you suffer a serious injury in an accident, it can be hard to know what to do. If you are hurt badly and miss work, your bills will pile up quickly. A good car accident lawyer can help you sort through everything. He or she will make sure that you receive all of your insurance payments and investigate all of your claims. Your lawyer will fight for every dollar you are owed while making sure that your medical bills are covered as well. It is common for people who cause accidents to have no insurance. The result is that the victim has to pay out of pocket to cover their expenses. Without the right representation, you may never see any money. That is why you need a car accident lawyer.
If the Crash Involves an Uninsured Motorist
Insurance companies will cover damage to your car if you are involved in an accident with another driver who is insured. If that driver was at fault, they will also compensate you for medical expenses and other out-of-pocket costs related to your injuries. But what happens if you’re hit by an uninsured motorist? If you have health insurance, then you may not need a lawyer right away — your provider will work directly with your auto insurer to recoup expenses for damages or injuries suffered as a result of an accident. But there’s no legal obligation for them to do so, so it’s best to get expert help as soon as possible.
If There Is Damage to Your Vehicle
If you’ve been in an accident and your car was damaged, it’s best to contact your insurance company right away. Insurance policies typically include language that requires you to inform your insurer of any accidents or losses as soon as possible, in order to avoid situations where you might end up not being covered. But regardless of what your policy says, it’s always best to be upfront about things — not only so that you can take advantage of every dollar due to you under law, but also because insurance adjusters are trained professionals who have seen every excuse in their time. They know when something sounds fishy (or like typical customer BS), and if they think there’s something funny going on, they’ll investigate even further.
If There Is Damage to Someone Else’s Property
If your accident caused damage to someone else’s property, you may be legally liable for that damage. If there was only minor damage and it would be difficult to prove your negligence, then you can pay for repairs out of pocket without involving a lawyer. But if your car accident caused more significant damage, or if other people were involved in an accident due to yours, then you should hire an attorney. An attorney will help determine liability and negotiate with insurance companies — saving you time and money on expensive legal fees.
Contact a car accident lawyer today at Wade Suthard, P.C. for help!